Friday, March 28, 2008

Olympic boycott

Nancy Pelosi says that America should not boycott the Olympic games in Beijing because, and I quote "it would be unfair to American athletes" (not sure that was Pelosi's quote, but that's what the radio newscaster said). I'd like to analyze that statement - unfair to American athletes. China has a horrible human rights' record. They treat their citizens atrociously, killing anyone who protests the government, even in the most benign manner. Child labor runs rampant, forced abortions are quite normal, children die in locked fireworks factories. They kill more prisoners than any other country , including the US, which has a pretty horrific statistic in that regard too - in 2006, out of the ~1600 executions in the world, ~1000 were carried out by the Chinese. Trials are secretive, so no one knows how guilty the prisoners are. And after they're killed, rumor has it their body parts are sold for transplantation. In addition to treating their own citizens terribly, the Chinese treated our pets to poison last year, as well as exporting somewhere in the neighborhood of 19 MILLION toys that had to be recalled, toys that had lead in their paint and small parts for little ones to choke on. And who can forget Aquadots, those lovely little beads that turned into the date rape drug GHB upon ingestion?

They censor all web sites that show the country or the government in a bad light. They kill journalists who dare speak out. They find these journalists by strong arming places like Google and Yahoo into giving up information about posters so they can find them. Currently, they're killing protesters in Tibet. Including monks and would probably love nothing more than to put a bullet in the head of the dalai lama. And yet the IOC saw fit to allow this country the honor of hosting the Olympics this year. And of course, it wouldn't be fair to American athletes if America boycotted. Granted, these athletes worked their asses off, training for the chance to go to these games, sacrificing family and free time (and junk food) for the honor of competing. Is it unfair to tell them they have to wait for the next games and hope they can still perform well enough to win their spot? Or should we just go to the Olympics and let China bask in what looks and feels like acceptance of its barbaric practices?

I know what my thoughts are. I'd love to hear yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I agree with your observations about China as a country, the Olympics are supposed to be ABOVE that, and a-political. That's the WHOLE POINT! The Olympic Games ARE for the athletes!

Anonymous said...

the Olympics should never have been awarded to China in the first place. Millions of people have been displaced. Their livelihood had been wiped out in many cases. All for show to the west. its all a lie-the polution alone is killing millions every week there. NOthing is being done to help the citizens who live there but so much is being faked to present another face to the rest of the world.

I know someone who has qualified for the track and field team-he is thinking of recinding his place as its not looking safe between China and the insanity so close in North Korea.

My husband works for a billion dollar US company with plants in China-he travels there several times a year and spends multimillion dollars on their economy as a rep of his US based company (where actually most of the manufacturing is here in the US). He has had a chance to be permanantly transfered there. I have refused to go with him as I will not spend money there. I will not contribute to the wrongful quest of the Chinese government even if my husband's salary would double. I was told I would need a body guard and driver to leave my home every day. If it isn't safe for me there, how safe is it for the citizens? I like to come and go on a whim--and I have a big mouth and it gets me in trouble here in the US-can you imagine what would happen over there? I would be creating an international incident every week or would be sent back here-I would rather walk the streets of downtown Detroit-at least I have a chance as I can outrun some of the thugs.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize basic human dignity was a political thing. I thought it was just, you know, basic human dignity.