Monday, June 2, 2008

Cell Phones - They're EVERYwhere

What's the deal with cell phones? I know I am "old", but I do have one. I just do not stay glued to it all day long. I guess I HAVE A LIFE! Please, please, please, someone explain any of the following to me:

1. Driver of a HUGE vehicle, pulled into a parking space crooked, backed up (into traffic), tried again. All the time ON THE CELL PHONE! Put it DOWN fer crissake!

2. Woman in the drycleaners, talking to her bluetooth. Handed her clothing to the poor clerk who tried to ask her a questions, and she looked annoyed. How rude! Could she maybe SHUT UP for a second and not be rude to the person SERVING HER!?!

3. Woman in line behind me at the grocery store, yap-yap-yapping contantly into her cell phone. When I turned around and looked at her (she was less than 2 feet from me), she just looked annoyed. Let me tell YOU about annoyed!

4. I'd have to say 4 out of 5 people I passed coming into the grocery and when I left the grocery, and IN the grocery, were on their cell phones. What in heaven's name do all these people have to say that cannot wait until they get home?!

5. The place I get my hair cut has a manicurist, of course. One time while I waited for my stylist to finish with her previous customer, this manicurist was working on a customer's nails, and in the 10 minutes I waited, she took 4 cell phone calls. She stopped talking to the customer to take the calls. I decided then and there to never get my nails done at this place if this manicurist was still there. I told them so, too. Not sure if she is still there or not - I stopped caring.

6. And the winner is: I got my hair cut Friday night (same place as #5...I love my stylist, what can I say?), and I kept hearing a one-sided conversation. The stylist across from mine was talking on her Bluetooth WHILE SHE WORKED ON SOMEONE'S HAIR! Talk about rude to the nth degree. THEN - THEN - she had Call Waiting, and she grabbed her cell, put the first person on hold and TOOK THE OTHER CALL!

So what am I missing here? Has it become commonplace to accept this level of rudeness? And who are these people TALKING to?!?!?!?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, kidding. Cell phones have gone wild. I just noticed today how many people constantly wear one of those ear things. To me it makes them look simply pathetic that they have no life beyond their phone.

I also find Call Waiting an incredibly rude invention.

Jan Scholl said...

I have never used call waiting-I have no clue how to do that. and it bugs me to no end when people will ask for my number (I only have home service for dsl) and I tell them, if I passed your head at birth from my loins, you can have my number and they get upset! They say then how can we call you? well, honey if I really need to, I will call you. I only got a cell phone for health problem issues long ago. I just hate that my privacy is gone and that some people feel that they need to check up on me (but he is deaf and can't hear when I really need to contact him). I sometimes leave it at home or in my car just to be free.

Heather said...

My hubby and I were just discussing the grocery store/ cell thing. Can you not make a list- must you keep a spouse or person at home to tell you EXACTLY which type of cereal you need?

The epitome of rudeness- when a server or clerk has to wait for someone to finish their phone call.

Anonymous said...

how many daytime minutes are normal? I have 250 and only once have I run over in 6 years. I have unlimited nightly and free to anyone who uses same company. So when I see youngsters (under 30) with the phone glued to the ear for hours, I wonder what the bill is costing. now my hubby's work phone (you don't want to know how much it costs as he uses 400 or more a day and its a world wide phone-so he calls all over and anything out of the country is more. But a 12 year old-paying 300 a month is insane! my neice wants a phone but mom is laid off and dad is gonna be but they are getting her a phone! What did we all do before the cell? we yelled down the street or gave an itinerary right? we PLANNED ahead. the worst is in the movies----and I am betting some are taping the movie and sending it over the internet via cell phones. anyways, it does have its place but jeez-I still hate them.

Anonymous said...

AAAARGH! Scene: Dr. Office. Sign on the front door: NO CELL PHONES. PLEASE TURN THEM OFF! Sign at the check-in counter: Out of courtesy for others, please TURN OFF your cell phone. Signs on the walls (plural): NO CELL PHONES. If you need to use a phone, please talk with the receptionist about using the phone we have provided in the waiting room.

Guy sitting in the first chair next to the check-in counter: On his cell phone, talking loudly, reading to someone from a piece of paper, talking loudly. Did I mention he was TALKING LOUDLY?! I kept looking at him, giving him the evil eye. He finally went outside the office to continue his conversation.

What part of NO CELL PHONES did he not get, and why did he think it did not apply to him?

Like I said, "AAAAARGH!"

(I am done now...thank you.)

Anonymous said...

Daytime minutes? Normal? I dunno. I have about 400 a month, and I never, ever, ever use them all. I called my cell phone service provider and asked to be dumbed down to the cheapest plan, and they told me I already had it. ;-(

Anonymous said...

yep - I always play a game of counting how many of those are on their cell phones while I'm driving. This could be just as dangerous though. LOL!

Moxie said...

Mobile phones have made people lazy. People don't make a decision on their own anymore. They ring Bill/Bob/Jane and ask "what should I do?". I often leave my mobile at home - because I figure I don't need to make a call and that is what I have it for.

Call waiting - can't stand it. I am talking to someone and they go an check out if there is a better offer on the other line. Nice.

I love some of the cafes near me and their mobile phone policy - if you are lined up to order your take away, double-shot, decaffinated, soy milk, atificially sweetened tall latte AND you are on the phone, they won't serve you. You must be off the phone.